Wisconsin Salvage Title

In the state of Wisconsin, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Wisconsin. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a WI Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Wisconsin Salvage Titles

In the state of Wisconsin, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle is 70 percent or more of the market value as determined by your insurance company. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a WI Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

Wisconsin Salvage Certificate of Title

Once your insurance company deems your vehicle a total loss, you can apply for a WI Salvage Vehicle Certificate of Title through your local Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles branch. If you were indicated as the owner of the salvaged vehicle by your insurance agency, you will be sent the Salvage Title in the mail.

Wisconsin Salvage Inspection

Before you can convert your WI Salvage Title to a Rebuilt Salvage Title, the vehicle must be repaired or restored to an operable condition for the highway. Your car must also pass the salvage inspection performed by an inspection agency approved by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. You'll need to make an appointment first, so please refer to the list of agency locations and contact information.

You will have to fill out a Request for Repaired or Rebuilt Salvage Vehicle Examination form. (Please refer to the form for inspection information.)

From a Wisconsin Salvage Title to Rebuilt Salvage Certificate of Title

Upon completion of your salvaged vehicle restoration and salvage inspection, you can then convert your WI Salvage Title to a WI Rebuilt Salvage Title. To acquire your rebuilt title, you'll need to send your local Wisconsin DMV branch and complete a Salvage Certificate of Title. You will also have to include your title, bill of sale, all receipts for parts used in the rebuild, along with method of payment for the appropriate fees. Once the process is complete, your Rebuilt Title will be mailed to you.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Wisconsin

An abandoned vehicle title in Wisconsin can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. As a general guideline between all states, to claim an abandoned vehicle and title it you'll have to first contact your local law enforcement agency, give them the location of the vehicle and fill out an abandoned vehicle form. If authorities investigate and the owner is not located, they will contact you.

At that point you may take your completed abandoned vehicle form to your local DMV branch and apply for a Motor Vehicle Title. For more information, contact WI local authorities or the DMV at 608-266-1466.