Name Change On An Wisconsin Drivers License

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The state DMV recommends that you change the name on your Wisconsin drivers license as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Online application assistance services in Wisconsin can facilitate the processes involved in many DMV related services by providing invaluable information and step-by-step instruction on how best to proceed. Whether you are looking to renew, replace or get a new WI drivers license or ID card, online application assistance services can help with these and many more. Other benefits include one-click access to an entire inventory of official Wisconsin forms and publications, as well as other useful Wisconsin resources.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Changing your name on your Wisconsin drivers license is an easy process, but you must change the name on your Social Security card first.

Begin by downloading a complete list of the required documents.

Social Security Process

Visit the Social Security Administration website to request your name change and get the required documents.

Required Documents

  • Marriage document
  • Divorce decree
  • Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name or Court-ordered name change
  • U.S. citizenship (if you have not established your citizenship with us) or immigration status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States)

Download, print and fill out the SSA application.

Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. All documents must be original.

DMV Process

Once you complete the name change with the SSA, you'll need to visit your local DMV office and show acceptable proof of:

  • Name change
  • Name and date of birth
  • Residency
  • Legal presence

Note: You must also pay a $4 fee.

How to: